Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Night Flight


The date of my departure to Virginia had seemed so far away. I had received the study guide and ordered the recommended books on Amazon. I spent the first warm days of summer outside surrounded by horse anatomy. Scouring the web I found an affordable yet non-direct flight to Raliegh-Durham North Carolina. From there I would have to rent a car.

All was seeming in order. I just couldn't believe that it was actually happening. I was going to Virginia to study massage for horses! The night of my departure I had a fabulous dinner created by Ryan. He, Branic, and I sat outside eating porkchops and wine. I hate flying, and this was a night flight. I thought I could at least sleep on the plane. So I had a few glasses of pinot noir and off I went to the PDX airport.

As Ryan pulled away in my old blue 1974 Ford I lovingly called Mancamp I couldn't stop crying. Both overwhelmed by the new experience that lay ahead and a slight fear of doing this all alone, I stepped up to attendant at US Airways wishing I hadn't broken my last pair of sunglasses.

I hadn't been on a plane since the girls and I took our February trip to Mexico in 2006. Walking through the security I received an invitation for a bag check. Standing there barefoot I watched as they pulled out my new Aubrey Naturals shampoo. It was over the allowed limit of 3 ounces for a carry on. One item down. I headed straight for my gate. Once I knew the location I could backtrack and enjoy a glass of wine, my liquid sleep aid.

I had chosen an aisle seat when I booked my ticket online. I was claustrophobic just a bit and needed an easy escape if need be. The woman ahead of me had ordered a bloody mary. That sounded great. One for me too. My plan would work, I thought. I will have a long sleep and awake on the east coast.

No comments: